Friday, July 3, 2009

A Little About Kenya

Nairobi, Kenya has 3.2 million people. The 13th largest city on the continent of Africa, there are 42 different tribes who call Kenya home. All tribes fall into one of three categories: The Bantus (pronounced ban*2's), The Cushites, and The Nilotes (pronounced ny*lots). Each tribe has a specialty as it relates to way of life. The Bantus are farmers, The Cushites are ranchers, and the Nilotes are fishermen. Within each categories are further delineations of how the tribes are identified. For instance, the Nilotes who are fisherman live either on the plains of Kenya or near the lakes of Kenya: Hence the tag... Plain Nilotes or Lake Nilotes. Upon my arrival, I was immediately told what tribe I belong to: I am of the Abaluya Tribe in the Nilote category.  (I was told I look like a Nilote) With this being my first trip to Africa... I am proud to be a part of the best looking tribe in Kenya! My name is Golden Davis and I pastor The Exciting Mt. Olive Church of Kansas City, Kansas. Our church, much to my humble appreciation, is doing much of the same work at home as is being done here in Africa: Ministering to Homeless Youth, Feeding the homeless and disenfranchised, raising the awareness of the HIV/AIDS pandemic in America's urban centers, Youth Mentoring and focusing on becoming more of a hands-on ministry-based church. I'm both proud and humbled to be here. My sincere thanks to all who made this trip a reality.

For the duration of our time, I'll work to bring interesting tidbits concerning this beautiful nation of beautiful people.
Today we met the with the major and a few of his worship's key people. God granted us favor. Tomorrow we will visit one of the largest shanties (slums) in all of East Africa. 

Pray for the well being of my family, the church, the team and myself.
In Jesus' Name I remain,

G. Davis, Sr.


1 comment:

  1. Golden, thanks for taking the time to blog. It makes me feel like I'm there and part of the group. Praying for you, your church and your family, Jim

    ReplyDelete